Howard Joel Munroe was an African Guyanese young man who was only twenty years old when he was murdered by a group of white supremacist youth on May 21, 2001 in Kitchener, Ontario. Celebrations were under way for Victoria Day in Victoria Park when Howard Munroe was swarmed and beaten by 30 to 50 members and associates of the Slingers gang.

Two and a half years after his death, only thee of Howard’s assailants were arrested and charged. Dirk young, who was beleived to be the leader of the white supremacist gang was charged with second degree murder and received a life sentence without parole. Robert Barges, the other assailant received the same sentence as Dirk younr. The final conviction for David Miller resulted in a 5 year sentence however he only served one day behing bars as he had already spent 2 1/2 years in pre-trial custody which was credited on a two-for-one basis.

Quisque id lectus vitae tortor ultrices lobortis. Aenean purus nibh, rhoncus sed arcu at, sagittis ullamcorper purus. Sed eu velit elementum, accumsan nunc nec, bibendum tellus. Ut mollis malesuada est, at gravida odio feugiat non. Morbi eget tincidunt erat. Sed neque enim, hendrerit eu neque id, bibendum ornare felis. Ut placerat enim odio, sit amet sollicitudin tortor feugiat ut. Aenean sit amet mi lacus.

Sed mollis elit vel ante maximus placerat. Donec venenatis mollis condimentum. Nulla iaculis tellus ac tortor varius lacinia. Sed ac dui at tellus rhoncus tincidunt sed quis lacus. Nullam commodo sem ut turpis rutrum accumsan. Morbi iaculis aliquet imperdiet. Pellentesque dictum sagittis est, id dapibus leo gravida eget. Curabitur scelerisque arcu sed venenatis fringilla. Nullam cursus lobortis metus, feugiat ultrices tellus mollis vitae.

Francis Pitia has battled poverty, fled a civil war and huddled in a tent to avoid Somalian thieves — all with the use of one leg. But until mid-2006, the Sudanese refugee had never been swarmed and beaten with his own crutch by a group of men screaming racial slurs at him. He was walking on David Street, near Joseph Street, when a group of white men came out of Victoria Park to attack him at around 10:50 p.m. Pitia, 33, lost the movement in his right leg to polio as a child. He couldn’t do much to defend himself and he was beaten unconscious. Another Sudanese man was also beaten, along with a Good Samaritan who tried to stop the assault.

One member of the group allegedly beat Pitia with his own metal crutch

Pitia was knocked unconscious and awoke later in hospital. He was released several hours later, visibly battered and bruised. His eyes were bloodshot, stitches marked his lower lip and his temples were swollen.